Tuesday, March 31, 2009

AutoText and Other BlackBerry Tips

BlackBerry AutoText

One of the greatest features on the BlackBerry is the AutoText feature. Not sure what it is? Start composing an email and try typing in the following:

cant

then press the space bar.

Did you notice the apostrophe was automatically put in there for you?

Try typing wer and press the space bar.  It should have changed to we're automatically.

So AutoText is great to help you with shortcuts when you're typing out emails. But, you can also go in and set up your own AutoText words or even whole emails.

So you may be asking, "Why would I ever need to create my own AutoText?"

Here's one that I use a lot:

Anytime I go visit a potential customer for the first time, as soon as I leave their office, I immediately want to send them an email thanking them for meeting with me. I have an AutoText set up with the word meetme. When I type meetme in the body of an email it automatically enters a pre-typed email that thanks the person for meeting with me. The email also gives them some websites to view as well as a couple of current customers contact info that I use as references.  I can usually have an email sent to the person I met within three to five minutes after leaving their office. I've even had a couple of people call me and ask how I was able to get them an email so fast. It creates another opportunity for me to talk about BlackBerry and another face to face meeting with them.

To set up your own AutoText do the following:

  • Go to Options
  • Go to AutoText
  • Press the Menu Key
  • Select New
  • Fill in the "replace" and "with" fields however you wish
  • Press the menu key
  • Select Save
Other BlackBerry Tips

Did you know you can add up to 10 email accounts to your BlackBerry smartphone? This means you no longer have to log into your hotmail, gmail, or yahoo accounts ever again. With push technology your emails will find you and staying connected has never been easier. The phone provider you use will determine how you need to set up your email accounts on your BlackBerry. 

When scrolling through messages:
• press space to move page up
• press shift and space to move page down

When typing an alphanumeric phone number (ex.1-800-FLOWERS)
• hold down the alt key to input letters into a phone number


1 comment:

  1. I like blackberrys. A LOT. Stay cool, T-Dog.

    ReplyDelete